It’s the hardest, heaviest tour of the year, featuring three of the biggest acts on the planet, and to celebrate, we’re having one helluva contest.
It’s BLACKDIAMONDSKYE the ass-kicking Alice in Chains, Deftones and Mastodon triple-bill, and we’re going to give four fans (and their friends) and appropriately ass-kicking good time.
One lucky fan will win a pair of VIP tickets to a BDS tour date of their choice, a meet-and-greet with Alice in Chains, a limited-edition tour poster signed by all three bands and—perhaps coolest of all—an official, personalized Black Gives Way To Blue gold record, courtesy of the guys in AIC.
Three runners up will win a pair of tickets to BDS tour stop and an autographed poster.
Pretty awesome, right? All you’ve got to do to win is create an eye-catching video trailer for the tour… you can download assets over at BLACKDIAMONDSKYE.com, cut a video piece and then upload it to Your.MTV.com. For inspiration, check out the Official BDS Video Page.The winning submissions will be chosen by Alice In Chains themselves, so you better impress.
The contest starts right now, and the deadline for submissions is 10 a.m. PST on September 14. All entries must include the BLACKDIAMONDSKYE.com URL, and must be under 1 minute in length. Winners will be announced on September 15.
BLACKDIAMONDSKYE kicks off September 16 in Chicago, so should probably get cracking on this.
Full rules and whatnot after the jump.
Sponsored by MTV Networks, a division of Viacom International Inc. and Velvet
Hammer Music and Management
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN A PRIZE. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. THIS CONTEST SHALL BE
CONSTRUED AND EVALUATED ONLY ACCORDING TO UNITED STATES LAW.
2. Entry Period: The “BlackDiamondSkye Contest” (the “Contest”) commences at 7:00:01 PM (ET) on August 31, 2010 and ends at 12:59:59 PM (ET) on September 14, 2010 (the “Contest Period”). All entries must be received by 12:59:59 PM (ET) on
September 14, 2010.
3. Contest Overview: The Contest is a skills contest wherein entrants create a video trailer for the upcoming BlackDiamondSkye tour (the “Video”) using BlackDiamondSkye promo materials (the “BDS Materials”). One (1) grand prize winner (the “Grand Prize Winner”) will be selected to receive the Grand Prize (as defined herein) and three (3) runner up winners (collectively, the “Runner Up Winners” and, together with the Grand Prize Winners, the “Winners”) will be selected to receive Runner Up Prizes (as defined herein).
4. Eligibility: The Contest is only open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are at least sixteen (16) years of age or older (twenty one (21) years of age or older if a Winner selects the BlackDiamondSkye show in
Las Vegas, NV on September 16, 2010 as part of his/her Prize (as defined herein)) at time of entry (the “Entrant” or “Entrants”). Entrants who are not yet at the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which they reside will be required to obtain parental or legal guardian consent to be eligible to be declared a Winner. Entrants must not be professional filmmakers and/or videographers and must not be at the time of entry, during Contest Period or at the time of Prize fulfillment, a party to any agreement with any studio,
production company or publishing company or any third party that might interfere with Entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or acceptance of the Prizes awarded. Employees (and their immediate families i.e., parents, spouse, children, siblings, grandparents, step parents, step children and step siblings, and/or those living in the same household) of MTV Networks, a division of Viacom International Inc. (“MTVN”), Velvet Hammer Music and Management (“VHMM” and, together with MTVN,
the “Sponsors”) and each of their respective parent companies, affiliates and subsidiaries, advertising agencies and third party fulfillment agencies (collectively with MTVN and VHMM, the “Contest Entities”) are not eligible to enter the Contest. By participating in this Contest, Entrants: (a) agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the interpretations of these Official Rules by Sponsors, and by the decisions of Sponsors, which are final in all matters relating to the Contest; (b) release and hold
harmless each of the Contest Entities and their respective agents, employees, officers, directors, successors and assigns, against any and all claims, injury or damage arising out of or relating to participation in this Contest and/or the use or misuse or redemption of a prize, and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property related cause of action; and (c) acknowledge compliance with these
Official Rules. Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any Entrant who is under a third party agreement which Sponsors deem to be as contradictory to the amateur nature of this Contest and in violation of these Official Rules.
5. To Enter: At any time during the Contest Period, (i) Visit http://BlackDiamondSkye.com, a website owned and controlled by VHMM (the “VHMM Website”). (ii) Download the BDS Materials to create an original trailer.
(iii) Create a Video following the instructions on the VHMM Website using the BDS Materials which will be provided to entrants for download from the VHMM Website.
(iv) Upload the Video you created to http://Your.MTV.com, a website owned and controlled by MTVN (the “MTVN Website”), in a format specified on the MTVN Website not to exceed 100MB in file size. If the Video exceeds one (1:00) minute in length, only the first one (1:00) minute of the Video will be considered. The Video must be comprised only of original elements created by entrant and may not contain elements which are/have been created, developed, copyrighted,trademarked and/or patented by third parties (excluding the BDS Materials) or which are owned or subject to proprietary or licensing rights of or by an entity other than Entrant(s) personally and in their individual capacity(ies) (excluding the BDS Materials). Any Videos that do not meet the requirements of the previous sentence will not be accepted or will
otherwise be disqualified. Please allow up to twenty-four (24) hours for MTVN moderators to review and approve your Video. Once approved, the Video entry will be available for MTVN Website users to view. (v) Please note that the BDS Materials will expire after thirty (30) days from the end of the Contest Period. Entrants have the
right to use the BDS Materials in their Videos and for such Videos to be streamed on the MTVN Website and/or VHMM Website. Sponsors will remove all Videos from the MTVN Website and VHMM Website at the end of the Contest Period. The Video must constitute a completely original work by the Entrant(s) [e.g., the Video must not have been previously released commercially, taken or composed, in whole or in part, from any other source other than the Entrants, commissioned, developed or produced for any commercial enterprise and must not contain images, language, music (except for the BDS Materials), characters, graphics, underlying source code or other elements which have been created, developed, copyrighted, trademarked and/or patented or which are owned or subject to proprietary or licensing rights of or by an entity other than entrant(s) personally and in their individual capacity(ies).]
All entries submitted in accordance with these Official Rules shall be collectively hereinafter referred to as the “Eligible Entries.” Incomplete or inaccurate entries are void.
Each entrant hereby grants and agrees to grant to the Sponsors and to each of the other Contest Entities the right to exhibit, webcast, podcast, broadcast, copy, reproduce, encode, compress, encrypt, incorporate data into, edit, rebroadcast, transmit, record, publicly perform, display, create derivative works of, distribute and synchronize in time related to visual elements, post, and/or otherwise use and/or exploit the Videos or any parts thereof, in perpetuity, anywhere in the world, in any manner or media now existing or hereinafter devised, including, but not limited to, the right to make any and all uses thereof, or for purposes of advertising or trade without any compensation to Entrant. None of the Contest Entities are under any obligation to use the Videos for any purpose.
Entrants agree that Videos shall not contain, include or involve any of the following:
• Crude, vulgar or offensive pictures, depictions, images, language and/or symbols
• Gang signs or symbols
• Explicit sexual activity
• Illegal drug or alcohol use
• Commercial products (e.g., clothing, toys, food) and/or their trademarks, brands, logos or endorsements
• Commercial products (e.g., clothing, toys, food) and/or their trademarks, brands, logos or endorsements
• License plates, phone numbers, personal addresses – physical or email or otherwise
• Website or web page links
• Derogatory characterizations of any ethnic, racial, sexual or religious groups, humiliate other people (publicly or otherwise), any assault or threatening of others
• Trespass or the violation of other people’s rights or property
• Illegal (e.g., discriminatory, harassing) or inappropriate activity, behavior or conduct (e.g., inflicting emotional distress)
• Conduct or activities in violation of these Official Rules
• Any other content, display, materials and/or images that is or could be considered inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, as determined by Sponsors in their sole discretion
The Contest Entities are not obligated to, use, publish, display or broadcast any Videos submitted with an entry. Each Entrant acknowledges that the Contest Entities will rely on such Entrant’s agreement and compliance with these Official Rules when Entrant submits or attempts to submit the entry. Sponsors reserve the right to reject any entries that it deems, in their sole discretion, to violate any of the policies of MTVN’s “Standards and Practices Guidelines” at http://www.mtv.com/sitewide/mtvinfo/user_content.jhtml or the terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules. Sponsors may modify or edit any materials related to a Contest entry or request Entrants to do so, so that such materials meet such guidelines.
6. Winners Judging Criteria: The official judging panel will be comprised of representatives from the Sponsors. The Eligible Entries will be judged based on the following equally weighted judging criteria: originality, creativity and most compelling (“Judging Criteria”). The final determination of the Winners and the application of the Judging Criteria shall be in the sole and absolute discretion of the Sponsors. Sponsors reserve the right to extend the Contest Period or to not select some or all the Winners if the Sponsors determine, in their sole and absolute discretion, that entries received did not meet the minimum qualification standards based on the Judging Criteria specified herein. Sponsors reserve the right to delay the announcement of the Winners in their sole discretion.
7. Winners Selection/Notification: One (1) Grand Prize Winner and three (3) Runner Up Winners shall be selected by the Judges on or about September 15, 2010. Sponsors will make up to two (2) attempts over the forty eight (48) hour period following Winners selection to contact each potential Winner. If the potential Winners cannot be reached during the forty eight (48) hour period in which he/she is emailed or called (no messages will be left on answering machines or voicemail systems) the potential Winners will be disqualified and an alternative Winner may be selected from among the remaining Eligible Entries received if time permits. In addition, Sponsors reserve the right to select an alternative Winner, if time permits, in the event any Winners fail to comply with these Official Rules.
8. Winners Verification: The potential Winners must prove eligibility, including, without limitation, proof of age and residence within two (2) calendar days of being notified as a potential Winner. In the event of non-compliance by the potential
Winner such potential Winner shall be disqualified and all privileges otherwise due as Winner shall be terminated and an alternative potential Winner may be chosen from among the remaining Eligible Entries received in Sponsors’ sole discretion. The
Winner and Guest (as hereinafter defined) must sign (or, if a minor, have his/her parent or legal guardian sign) within two (2) calendar days of receipt of applicable documents from Sponsors: (a) an affidavit of eligibility and release of liability whereby each of the Contest Entities and each of their officers, directors, employees, agents, members, affiliated companies and subsidiaries, is released from any and all liability, loss, claims, demands, and causes of action for personal injury and/or damage, theft, loss, or any other harm suffered in connection with this Contest or the use/misuse or acceptance of any Prize or any portion thereof, and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property related cause of action, to be eligible for any Prize and (b) except where prohibited by law, a promotional release granting Contest Entities the right to use their name and likeness for advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation and (c) an assignment of rights to Sponsors in and to the Video. Entry into this Contest constitutes agreement to sign such releases. The Winners (or, if a minor, his/her legal guardian) must acknowledge that none of the Contest Entities will obtain
or provide insurance of any kind relating to any Prize. The Winners (or, if a minor, his/her parent or legal guardian) will be responsible for obtaining and paying for any form of insurance relating to any Prize. The Winners (or, if a minor, his/her parent or
legal guardian) must also complete any additional legal documents provided by Sponsors with respect to any Prize and return them as instructed within the time frame specified by Sponsors or the Winners may forfeit such Prize at Sponsors’ sole discretion.
Sponsors expressly reserve the right to delay the announcement of the Winners for creative or technical reasons or for any other reason Sponsors deem necessary.
Winners agree to irrevocably assign to MTVN, and its representatives, affiliates and licensees, in whole or in part, all of Winners’ right, title and interest in the Video including, without limitation, all intellectual property rights therein, for use in any and all
media whether now known or hereafter devised, including, without limitation, the unconditional right to exhibit, webcast, podcast, broadcast, copy, reproduce, encode, compress, encrypt, incorporate data into, edit, rebroadcast, transmit, record, publicly perform, create derivative works of, distribute and synchronize in time related to visual elements, and/or otherwise exploit and exercise all other rights of ownership in the Videos, in perpetuity, anywhere in the world, including, but not limited to, the right to make any and all uses thereof, or for purposes of advertising or trade without any compensation to Entrant.
(a) Grand Prize: The Grand Prize Winner will receive a one (1) prize pack consisting of: (i) one (1) personalized Alice in Chains “Black Gives Way To Blue” GOLD DISC, (ii) two (2) VIP tickets to the BlackDiamondSkye show of their choice, with opportunity to meet Alice In Chains and (iii) one (1) autographed BlackDiamondSkye tour poster (signed by Alice In Chains, Deftones and Mastodon) (collectively, the “Grand Prize”).
(b) Runner Up Prizes: The three (3) Runner Up Winners will receive prize packs consisting of: (i) two (2) VIP tickets to the BlackDiamondSkye show of their choice and (ii) one (1) autographed BlackDiamondSkye tour poster (signed by Alice In Chains,
Deftones and Mastodon) (collectively, the “Runner Up Prizes” and together with the Grand Prize, the “Prizes”).
10. General Prize Terms: The approximate total retail value (the “ARV”) of the Grand Prize is $1,500.00, the ARV of each Runner Up Prize is $500.00 and the total ARV of all Prizes is $3,000.00. The ARVs of the Prizes are subject to change based on current market conditions at time of Prize fulfillment. Any difference between the ARV and the actual value, if any, will not be rewarded. If for any reason any Prize-related event is delayed, cancelled or postponed, Sponsors reserve the right, but is not obligated, to cancel or modify the Contest in their sole discretion and shall award a substitute prize of equal or greater value. All costs and expenses not specifically listed above are solely the Winners’ responsibility. All federal, state and local taxes, and any other costs not specifically provided for in these Official Rules are solely the Winners’ responsibility.
The dates for fulfillment of the Prizes will be on or around October 2010, subject to change in MTVN’s sole discretion. No substitution, transfer or cash equivalent of any Prize or any portion thereof permitted, except by Sponsors, in which case a prize of comparable or greater value may be awarded. The Prizes are non-transferable.
11. General Terms: Noncompliance with any of these Official Rules may result in disqualification. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY A WINNER OR ANY BEHAVIOR BY A WINNER THAT WILL BRING SUCH WINNER OR
ANY OF THE CONTEST ENTITIES INTO DISREPUTE (AS DETERMINED BY THE AFFECTED CONTEST ENTITY IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION WILL RESULT IN SUCH WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS A WINNER OF THIS CONTEST
AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS THE WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
Contest Entities assume no responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate entry information whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the entries in this Contest. Contest Entities are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, or any incomplete, lost, late, delayed, misdirected or garbled votes or failure to receive votes, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Contest.
Contest Entities are not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest, or in the announcement of the Prizes or Winners. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including, without limitation, changes in MTVN’s on-air programming, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Contest Entities which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest or for any reason that
Contest Entities deem it necessary, Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest, and to determine the Winners in their sole discretion. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, notice will be posted on the VHMM Website and MTVN Website and the Prizes may be awarded to Winners to be selected from among all Eligible Entries received up until and/or after (if applicable) the time of modification, cancellation or termination, or in a manner that is fair and equitable as determined by Sponsors. All interpretations of these Official Rules by Sponsors and decisions of Sponsors are final. Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any individual it suspects or finds: (i) to be acting in violation of these Official Rules; (ii) to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person; or (iii) to have provided inaccurate information on any legal documents submitted in connection with this Contest.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. THE NEW YORK COURTS (STATE AND FEDERAL)
SHALL HAVE SOLE JURISDICTION OVER ANY CONTROVERSIES REGARDING THE CONTEST AND THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK SHALL EXCLUSIVELY GOVERN THE CONTEST. EACH ENTRANT WAIVES ANY AND
ALL OBJECTIONS TO JURISDICTION AND VENUE IN THESE COURTS AND HEREBY SUBMITS TO THE JURISDICTION OF THOSE COURTS.
Entrants agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless each of the Contest Entities and each of their respective affiliated companies, parents, sponsors, subsidiaries, officers, directors, employees, agents, members (collectively, the “Indemnified Parties”) from and against any and all liabilities., claims, suits, losses, damages, expenses and costs (including, but not limited to reasonable attorneys’ fees) resulting or arising from the Contest, and from any breach or violation of any representation, warranty, obligation or covenant made by each Entrant herein, and each Entrant agrees to release all rights to bring any claim, action or proceeding against the Indemnified Parties, and hereby acknowledge that the Indemnified Parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the Prizes.
Past experience has confirmed that contests and other competitions generate substantially similar submissions or entries which closely resemble concepts and ideas that have been independently developed by any one or more of the Contest Entities before or after the Contest. Accordingly, Entrants may subsequently see a presentation by any one or more of the Contest Entities which seemingly incorporates an idea or concept or includes materials similar to that contained in their entries. Any similarity is purely coincidental and unavoidable in light of the volume of ideas which the Contest Entities routinely consider in the course of their business. Because of this possibility, Entrants hereby agree to submit their entries under the following terms and conditions: (a) that each of the Contest Entities may use any ideas, concepts, material, in whole or in part, contained in an entry; (b) that all physical materials submitted become the property of MTVN and will not be returned; (c) that all materials submitted are free from any lien or claim by anyone, including, but not limited to any union, guild or performance rights society; (d) Entrants have obtained all rights, permissions and licenses necessary for each of the Contest Entities to use the Videos for any purpose; (e) that no Video or any part thereof infringes any trademark or copyright or otherwise violates anyone’s right of privacy or publicity; and (f) Entrants indemnify and hold harmless each of the Contest Entities and their respective parent companies, officers, directors, employees, and agents from any claims, suits, losses damages and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) that arise from
any breach of the following conditions.
12. Request for Names of Winners and Official Rules: For the names of the Winners and/or Official Rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: MTV Networks, 1515 Broadway, 29th Floor, Attn: BlackDiamondSkye Contest, New York, NY 10036. All requests for a copy of the Official Rules and the names of the Winners must be made by November 14, 2010. Please note on the front left-hand corner of your outer envelope whether you are requesting “Official Rules” or the name of the “Winners”. Vermont residents may omit return postage if requesting a set of Official Rules.
13. Sponsor: This Contest is sponsored by MTV Networks, a division of Viacom International Inc. having a place of business at 1515 Broadway, New York, NY 10036, and Velvet Hammer Music and Management, 9014 Melrose Avenue, West Hollywood, CA 90069